Top-Posting

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.com
Fri May 6 05:36:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 23:14 -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 03:06:32PM -0400, Matthew S-H wrote:

[snip]

> I've been avoiding this discussion, but the above answer
> fascinates me. Why does personal email entail a different
> sort of quoting than mailing-list mail?

From what I can tell, personal preferences drives this sort of thing.
Warning, I am about to be sarcastic below...

People that mainly have used Outbreak or Bloatus Grotes gets used to
top-posting as that is how lazy people (read manglers) will use mail.

Technical and academia conversationists (is there such a word?) have
since long discovered that putting their response just below the section
they are answering in the senders mail makes for a much more readable
style for everyone - especially when complicated matters are discussed.

I guess that it would be experience and technical savvy that determines
which style is preferred. I mean, it is mentally challenging to read the
interspersed style, right?

B.t.w., I wear asbestos underpants, so if someone feels that my sarcasm
is defaming their character, they are probably correct but would waste
their time doing anything about it. And they would probably top-post as
well if they replied. ;-)

--
Anders Karlsson <anders at trudheim.com> | GnuPG Key ID - 0x4B20601A
Senior QA Engineer - McAfee WebShield | finger anders at lenin.trudheim.com