Hard Drive Check Forced

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Thu May 5 22:23:27 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Gerhard Gaußling <ggrubbish at web.de> wrote:
> Am Thursday 05 May 2005 18:10 schrieb Andy Choens:
> > I saw a boot message that said
> > this volume has been mounted 30 times, check forced...
>
> I think this is a normal behaviour which you can control by tune2fs.
>  tune2fs -c max-mount-counts if you use ext3 or ext3.
> For reiserfs use the package progsreiserfs.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I use ext3.  I could tell when it
did the check that nothing was wrong.  My problem is simple:  This is
a laptop and I was trying to give a presentation to my boss.  Having a
desktop check isn't as problematic as having my laptop do this.  It's
been turned on and off more than 30 times since Uu has been installed,
but it's never done that before.  I felt like a bit of a silly waiting
for a while for my HD to clear for a boot while everyone stared at
me.....it was...inconvenient timing.

I think Uu should only implement a policy like this on Desktops.  Or,
if on a laptop, every 200 boots or something, since we do turn our
computers on and off more.  The server here hasn't been reset once
since Hoary came out.  I have no idea how many times of turned this
laptop on and off.

--andy