unseen added devices

taeb taeb at netins.net
Thu May 5 14:30:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 09:02:17AM +0200, Frank Schafer wrote:
<SNIP>
> If you have cupsd running have a look at:
> http://localhost:631/documentation.html too.
>
> There is a DeviceURI directive in printers.conf. I'd focus on this for
> further investigation.
<SNIP>

I've looked through the administration documentation, and I don't think
the problem I'm having is with print configuration files.  The device
information required by lpadmin to create the printer is not available
even though dmesg lists ttyS[01] present during boot.  When I enter
lpinfo -v I get the following:

network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp0
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp1
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp2
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp3
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp4
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp5
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp6
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp7
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp8
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp9
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp10
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp11
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp12
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp13
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp14
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp15
network smb

As you can see, there are no serial ports listed.  The documentation
suggests I should see something like:

serial serial:/dev/ttyS1?baud=115200

If it did not work under MacOS I'd assume the port was fried, but it
prints perfectly fine under that OS.  I'm suspicious that whatever
recognizes serial ports during boot is not completely working for the
Mac, or there is some stty magic or such that I need to do.

One other thing: when I looked up this printer in linuxprinting.org's
database, it had the following line under Miscellaneous (info):

No known autodetection signatures.

I wondered if this means the system will not be able to detect the
printer during boot even though it's there?  Obviously there has to
be some way talk to this puppy. :)

Thanks again for helping me work through this.

tony