[ubuntu] broken associations

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Thu May 5 10:12:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 10:32 +0200, lluishc wrote:
> 2005/5/5, ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY <zamb at saudi.net.sa>:
> > That's strange!  I didn't notice this problem with my system.  Anyway,
> > did you try "System" --> "Preferences" --> "Preferred Applications" and
> > selecting "Firefox" from the "Web Browser" tab?
> >

> i have tried , but it has not solved my problem. the fact is that i
> installed the feedreader sage in my firefox 1.0.2. when i uninstalled
> it, it left firefox corrupted, so i uninstalled firefox and after
> deleted evry single file in my system with something like "firefox" in
> its name. After that, instead of reinstalling firefox from the
> repositories, i downloaded fx 1.0.3 from the mozilla web, and then i
> get into this situation. maybe the best i can do is uninstall 1.0.3
> and reinstall 1.0.2 from synaptic.

Hi lluishc...

There's a very serious and nasty security[1] problem with Firefox 1.0.2,
so please install 1.0.3 from (the *unofficial*) Ubuntu Backports[2]
repository.  Be aware of the following, here's a quote from the site:
        Ubuntu Backports is an unofficial, community project, and is
        *NOT* supported or endorsed by Canonical, Ltd., who makes
        Ubuntu. Please report all bugs to me via Ubuntu Forums, and NOT
        to Canonical!
Either that, or install 1.0.2 but disable JavaScript.

Links:
     1. http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html
     2. http://backports.ubuntuforums.org

(Please replay to the list so everyone benefits.)
Ziyad.