Live / Install CD (WAS:Re: GRUB : couple quick newbie questions...)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu May 5 07:51:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 09:52:38PM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> Yeah I did read this too in the wiki or wherever I saw this discussed,
> but again, the devs said that doing this woiuld require to remove a
> bunch of programs, which we obviously don't want to do, as the default
> desktop must be fully functionnal, as is today. What use would be a
> live&install CD, if it didn't provide you with a full featured desktop ?

That isn't strictly true; we can't fit both the traditional installer and
the live environment on a single CD, but we it is possible to provide an
alternative installer which works within the live environment.

> install and the Live CD for free. So I say...keep them separate...
> Improve them both as best as possible, but don't merge them, or make as
> an optional DVD not a CD.

We already provide a combo DVD.

We discussed the design for a combo CD (with a complete desktop install) at
Ubuntu Down Under:

http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuExpress

--
 - mdz