Postfix and Courier will not receive mail

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu May 5 07:25:50 UTC 2005

Lance,

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:16 -0700, Lance Earl wrote:
> I am atempting to be a first time web server builder.
> The server is being used to hose my commercial site,
> www.dallypost.com. Everything went without a hitch
> except email. I installed postfix, courier-pop and
> courier-imap.
>
> I am able to connect and send mail using balsa.
> However, when I send emailto the server either from
> the server itself or from my Yahoo account, it never
> arrives. I also did not receive a bounce notice to my
> Yahoo account. The message message just went to
> virtual somewhere and died.
>
> I used nmap to see if the port is open and got this
> reply:
>
> 143/tcp  open  imap

If you have installed PostFix on an Ubuntu system, then by default it
only listens on the local interface, lo and not on any external
interface. Hence you are not seeing port 25 open which is needed to
receive SMTP traffic.

You need to edit the file /etc/postfix/master.cf. The first uncommented
line should look something like this:

127.0.0.1:smtp inet n   -       -       -       -       smtpd

Change this to something like:

smtp inet n   -       -       -       -       smtpd

which will allow smtp traffic from anywhere.

and then restart postfix. You can do this with the command 'postfix
reload' as root.

Therest of the config is all done in /etc/postfix/main.cf and is mainly
to do with sending of e-mail. As you seem to be doing this already, it's
probably OK.

Regards,
Tony.
Manchester Computing, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold