Postfix and Courier will not receive mail

Lance Earl dallypost at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 04:15:25 UTC 2005

--- Tom AdAdelsteinadadelsteahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:16 -0700, Lance Earl wrote:
> > I am atatemptingo be a first time web server
> builder.
> > The server is being used to hose my commercial
> site,
> > wwwwwadallypostom. Everything went without a hitch
> > except email. I installed postfix, courier-pop and
> > courier-imimap
> >
> > I am able to connect and send mail using balsa.
> > However, when I send ememailtohe server either
> from
> > the server itself or from my Yahoo account, it
> never
> > arrives. I also did not receive a bounce notice to
> my
> > Yahoo account. The message message just went to
> > virtual somewhere and died.
> >
> > I used nmnmapo see if the port is open and got
> this
> > reply:
> >
> > 143/tctcpopen  imimap> >
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > Lance Earl
> >

> Lance,
>
> This is a situation with many, many possible
> problems.
>
> We need to start with a few questions:

I am pretty green at all this, and as such, I don't
fully understand some of your questions but I will
attempt to answer.

> 1. Did you use the native install of postfix?
Postfix was installed from the UbUbuntuepository

> If so did you test it?
I found several how toto'sor ininstalation
andonfiguration but did not see anything about how to
test it. Can you point me to a good source?

> 2. How did you install courier - from a repository
> or from source?
Courier was installed from the UbUbuntuepository

> 3. As you doing your own DNDNSUsing bind or nsnsdSet
> up as authority or
> caching? Defined with your domain registrar? Domain
> services working?
I am using bind which was installed from the
UbUbuntuepository. I am sorry but I don't know how to
answer the other questions.
> Alias and mail entries correct?
I don't know how to answer this question either.

> 4. Mail recipients - do they have accounts on the
> Operating System or
> are they virtual users?
Right now there is only one mail recipient and and I
want the recipient to be based on the user account. I
am not sure how it is currently set.

> 5. Have you checked your mail logs to see if you're
> receiving email?

Here is a sample of log entries. The first entry is to
a user on my server

May  4 22:05:41 lolocalhostostfix/smsmtp871]:
674786708F7: to=<lance at dadallypost om>, relay=none,
delay=51048, status=deferred (connect to
mail.dadallypostom[12. 160.224.30]: Connection
refused)
May  4 22:05:41 lolocalhostostfix/cleanup[9858]:
860096708A9: message-id=<200505
05040541.860096708A9 at lolocalhostolocaldomain
May  4 22:05:41 lolocalhostostfix/cleanup[9853]:
8E31B6708FE: message-id=<200505
05040541.8E31B6708FE at lolocalhostolocaldomain
May  4 22:05:41 lolocalhostostfix/local[9857]:
860096708A9: to=<wwwwwata at lolocalhot.lolocaldomain
relay=local, delay=0, status=sent (delivered to
mailbox)
May  4 22:05:41 lolocalhostostfix/local[9859]:
8E31B6708FE: to=<lance at lolocalhostlolocaldomain
orig_to=<postmaster>, relay=local, delay=0,
status=sent (delivered  to mailbox)
May  4 22:05:42 lolocalhostostfix/smsmtp867]:
DE6AD6708E2: host emempnetom.s5a1.
pspsmtpom[64.18.4.10] said: 450
<wwwwwata at lolocalhostolocaldomain Sender address
rejected: Domain not found (in reply to RCPT TO
command)

I wish that I could provide better info but I know
just enough to be dangerous.

Lance

Yahoo! Mail