Hard rive speed : raw vs formatted ?! :-(((

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed May 4 19:28:56 UTC 2005

> Odd.
>
> One thing to check: cables and DMA mode.
>
> If you have an old 40 pin cable, then the disk / driver / adapter aren't
> supposed to go any faster than 33 MB/s = udma2
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

THANKS James !! :-)

I checked the ribbon cable, replaced it with one that looked more
modern/fresher, and oh magic, hdparm now consinstantly reports 57+ MB/s,
same number I measured originally ! :o)))

Wow, 17MB/s with the old drive... almost 60 now ! :o)
X-Plane loads a lot faster, almost as fast as when loading entirely from
memory ! :o)

Yahooo ! :-)

If only I could afford another drive to put make a RAID0 device and
double this figure... mmmmmm.... sweeeeeeet..... :-)

Regards,

--
Vince