DMA errors, crash?

Chuk Goodin chukgoodin at gmail.com
Wed May 4 17:47:53 UTC 2005

On 5/4/05, James Wilkinson <ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Is the CD on the same cable as the hard drive?

Yes, it was. Then I just tried connecting it separately, and the HD
just makes a clicking noise, then does nothing.

> It could potentially be a problem with your IDE adapter. (Are you using
> the built-in BX adapter?) There's a slight chance that you might lose
> the errors if you put it on a different cable in the other IDE port.
> (And a slightly larger chance if you used a completely different IDE
> adapter: are you using a motherboard this old because you don't need the
> performance or you can't afford a complete upgrade?)

Bit of both -- this is a tertiary computer, so money goes to upgrading
two others before this one gets any. I may be able to get a better (or
at least newer) one.

Right now I have the drive in a different machine and I'm using
Mandrake Move (because Ubuntu Live gave me "GRUB error 15" and won't
continue). On this machine, I can mount the drive (so that I first
rescued all my non-replicable data!), and it looks okay. Unfortunately
with the Move CD I can't add smartmontools -- does anyone have any
other suggestions for drive checking?

I also got a couple of CD-ROM errors back on the BH6 board, so I'm
leaning toward IDE controller trouble, too.

> And download and run the Maxtor diagnostics from
> http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/index.htm
> There's a bootable CD image if you don't have Windows.

Thanks, I may yet do that if I can't find a good diagnostic tool on Linux.
Thanks to other posters suggestions, too.

--
chuk