Gnome weather applet non-functional in hoary

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 4 13:54:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 12:14 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:52:07 +0100
> Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Check the details and see when the applet got its report. Try a manual
> > update to see if you get anything more accurate. Mine is saying
> > scattered clouds for Manchester, which is about right.
>
> I did a manual update at the time of the post.  Same result.
>
> However I now see that the weather here in Cardiff corresponds to to
> what the applet says.  Perhaps I should regard it as a forecast, even
> though forecasts are not available :)
>
> > I hope your rain is not moving north!
> >
> > Nice to see us maintaining the British tradition of discussing the
> > weather:-)
>
> :)

I think it  rather depends on where the observing station is.
Here in Birmingham, the weather station is at Birmingham International
Airport, which is some way from urban Birmingham. So, when it says x
degrees and so and so cloud conditions I have to take it on faith it's
telling the truth because I'm far enough away for variations to occur.
At the end of the day, looking out of the window can't be beaten.

nux