A Plea for sanity when posting to this list.

Sven Wagschal s.wagschal at bengelhaus.de
Wed May 4 07:12:35 UTC 2005

Matt Galvin schrieb:
> How? I find that having the most recent reply at the top of the
> messages makes it easy to find.
> Its right on top, right in your face where it should be. Newest
> content first so you can read whats new instead of having to find
> whats new. IMHO, I prefer it this way and so does Google(and MS, and
> Apple), in Gmail(i understand not everyone uses it)(and Outlook and
> Mail) when replying, the cusor is positioned at the very top of the
> message in order to top post/reply. IMHO evo is just backwards, which
> is part of why I personally don't use it anymore.

No, the cursor is positioned at the top of the message for you to edit
the quote, snip unneeded material and the like and *then* answer. To
follow a discussion it is most natural to have first the question and
then the answer; your own post is a very good example how top posting
makes it difficult to follow discussions:

> How? I find that having the most recent reply at the top of the
> messages makes it easy to find.[...]
> Just my two cents.
>
> Matt
>

>>> * don't top post
>>>
>>> Top posting makes discussion hard to follow. Snip anything from the
>>> original post that it isn't relevant.

To understand your reply I have to jump to the bottom of the page, read
the relevant part, and then go back to your message. So it is part of
the nettiquette that top posting is "evil" ;-) .

Regards,

Sven Wagschal