Partition Table (Resend)

George Gingold georgegi at aanet.com.au
Wed May 4 03:06:19 UTC 2005

Matthew S-H wrote:

> I actually do have Partition Magic.  It is a slightly old version
> (version 4.0), but it works fine.  The only thing is that I don't get
> how I could use Partition Magic to repair the information.
>
> ~Matt
>

> On May 3, 2005, at 5:43 AM, Brian Astill wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 3 May 2005 03:38 pm, Matthew S-H wrote:
>>
>>> I'm resending this because I didn't get any responses.  I'm desperately
>>> hoping someone can help me.  I don't want to have to erase the entire
>>> hard drive.  If anyone has any ideas on how I can down by one (ie:
>>> hdb8 becomes hdb9), I would appreciate it.  I hope that would solve my
>>> problem.
>>

>> THE obvious answer is to restore your hda1 boot partition using a
>> floppy disk
>> (you DID prepare one for this purpose, didn't you?).
>> Then use your ubuntu floppy to boot into ubuntu (don't tell me - you
>> don't
>> have one of those, either :-) ) and reinstall grub into the mbr.
>>
>> You could also use the ubuntu liveCD to achieve the restoration of grub.
>>
>> An alternative is to beg/borrow/buy Partition Magic and use floppy disks
>> prepared from it to reboot and examine and repair your partition
>> information.
>>
>> Your partition schedule is so unusual it is almost bound to lead to
>> trouble.
>> You should merge the free space partitions with adjacent occupied
>> partitions
>> as soon as possible after you have your system running and have prepared
>> backups.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Brian
>>
>> --

To use Partition Magic it has to be installed on your hard disk, any
rescue floppies must be done from the installed PM. I would like to
sugest to install Ubuntu (a small install - no software packages) in one
of yor free spaces. Grub will re-read all partitions and write to MBR
new data. It worked for me, when I have deleted SuSe. My Grub come also
with error 15.
Good luck, George