DMA errors, crash?

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 18:26:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 10:44 -0700, Chuk Goodin wrote:
> I have suddenly been getting a lot of DMA errors, including some that
> say things like DriveReady SeekComplete. These errors bring the
> machine to a complete halt. Also, a couple of times when I tried to
> boot from CD (CDs that had previously been bootable and which I also
> later booted from successfully), I had no luck.
>
> Is my (nearly new Maxtor) HD dying? Is there some setting that could
> fix this? I'm running Hoary on an ABIT BH-6 mobo if that matters.

Chuk,

The situation sounds abnormal and like a hardware error.

It sounds like you built your own system -- is that correct?

If so, try reseating your components: memory, hard drive cables, etc.

If that doesn't help you might look at your bios and see how the hard
drive reports. Is it auto configured?

In the OS, you might check your hdparm settings.