(Solved) Distrowatch down for several days?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Tue May 3 13:54:06 UTC 2005

ti, 2005-05-03 kello 09:14 +0300, Ari Torhamo kirjoitti:
> su, 2005-05-01 kello 04:28 +0300, Ari Torhamo kirjoitti:
> > su, 2005-05-01 kello 11:08 +1000, Russell Cook kirjoitti:
> > > Hi Ari,
> > > this telnet connection works for me here in Oz. I guess if it doesn't
> > > work for you, you have no proxy just a straight internet connection
> > > then maybe you should ask your ISP's help desk to connect to the site,
> > > and ping it etc. Maybe they have a routing problem.
> >

> > I'll contact them on monday. New hope - thanks :-)
>

> I contacted my service provider and got a reply to my message. They
> thanked me for the detailed problem description I sent them (I forward
> these thanks to people who helped me on this list :) and said the
> following - which I don't understand much of:
> (Translated from Finnish)
> "We will request the operator to open the routing for the network space
> we aquired last autumn. The problem is the fact that some operators
> route the traffic from unused network segments to /dev/null and at the
> same time don't monitor if new segments are taken to use.
>
> Saunalahti Group Oyj / support"
>
> Now I'm a little optimistic about the problem getting fixed soon :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Ari

I just opened Distrowatch.com for the first time for over two weeks. On
the other words - problem solved! Contacting my ISP helped quickly - I
wouldn't have guessed that such an isolated problem with a single page
might concern my ISP. Thank's Russ for this idea. And thanks to
everybody who helped to isolate the problem - or even tried :-)

Regards,

Ari