Hoary doesn't detect network card (Thinkpad T20)

Nathan Jones nathanj at optimo.com.au
Tue May 3 12:38:11 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Any suggestions on how I can get Hoary to detect my network card?

I can tell it's not doing so, because:

- ifconfig only shows lo, not eth0
- System -> Administration -> Networking has no Ethernet connection
  and no Add button.
- The "Configuring Network Interfaces" step during startup completes
  immediately. (Paused under Warty whilst looking for the network.)
- I also tried a LiveCD and got the same symptoms.

About my system:

- Thinkpad T20 notebook with built-in network card.
- % lspci | grep Ethernet
  0000:00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9
    [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 09)
- Under Warty it successfully got a connection, configured via DHCP.

What I've found so far:

- A message on this list from Bryan Murdock (Apr 11) noting the same
  problem with a T20 (hence the CC), but the thread didn't go far.
- Other people have had network issues, but they all seem to have an
  eth0 to start with.

Hoary is otherwise very nice, so any pointers much appreciated. :-)

--
Nathan Jones