Mouse and keyboard combinations

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue May 3 12:14:56 UTC 2005

thephotoman wrote:
> Has anybody here tried to set up a Hoary/Breezy hybrid system using a
> wireless mouse and keyboard?  I ask because my mouse and keyboard are in
> dire need of replacement (the mouse has been severely malfunctioning of
> late, and I'm certain it's the hardware, and the keyboard is really too
> big for the desk), and most keyboards for sale these days seem to be
> wireless.  I hesitate to do anything until I know that these items will
> work.  So, what's worked for y'all?

Logitech are good:
http://logitech-en-emea.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_emea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1492&p_created=1083959151&p_sid=*s6LiuEh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0zNiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=
(phew! That all needs to be on one line...) It says:

> all Logitech keyboards will provide basic keyboard functionality under
> all operating systems,

... (but the multimedia / other keys won't work without other software),
and:
> Yes, the mouse or trackball should work in your operating system, but
> not the MouseWare software that comes with your product.

Techically, the base station for the mouse and keyboard plugs either
into the PS/2 ports or into a USB port, and makes the peripherals "look"
like a standard mouse and a standard keyboard.

On a practical basis, I think you'll find that even Windows users expect
their keyboard to be able to work in the BIOS, and that means that the
keyboard has to speak standard PS/2 or USB keyboard protocol.

Incidentally, that looks like a really odd domain name for them, but I
got it from the Logitech.com web site...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "I blame the teachers, and I blame the politicians
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | for picking the teachers, and I blame the parents