Partition Table (Resend)

Brian Astill bastill at adam.com.au
Tue May 3 09:43:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005 03:38 pm, Matthew S-H wrote:
> I'm resending this because I didn't get any responses.  I'm desperately
> hoping someone can help me.  I don't want to have to erase the entire
> hard drive.  If anyone has any ideas on how I can down by one (ie:
> hdb8 becomes hdb9), I would appreciate it.  I hope that would solve my
> problem.

THE obvious answer is to restore your hda1 boot partition using a floppy disk
(you DID prepare one for this purpose, didn't you?).
Then use your ubuntu floppy to boot into ubuntu (don't tell me - you don't
have one of those, either :-) ) and reinstall grub into the mbr.

You could also use the ubuntu liveCD to achieve the restoration of grub.

An alternative is to beg/borrow/buy Partition Magic and use floppy disks
prepared from it to reboot and examine and repair your partition information.

Your partition schedule is so unusual it is almost bound to lead to trouble.
You should merge the free space partitions with adjacent occupied partitions
as soon as possible after you have your system running and have prepared
backups.

--
Regards,
Brian