Groups & Printers

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Tue May 3 08:52:01 UTC 2005

Am I being daft or is there an error in the groups assignments involving
printers.

The default user is created as a member of lpadmin, but udev puts local
printers into group lp. As a result, when a user tries to send something
to a printer all that happens is that a message that the device does not
exist appears in the error log. Changing the udev permissions setting to
use group lpadmin for the printer devices allows printing to work, but
I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do or whether the user(s)
should be members of lp.

Comments, thoughts ....

	James

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |