unseen added devices

taeb taeb at netins.net
Mon May 2 20:18:53 UTC 2005

I have been gifted an old scanner (MicroTek SancMaker E3) and an old
laser printer (HP LaserJet 5MP).  I've looked at various web sites, and
sane says the scanner is "good" supported, and linuxprinting.org says
the printer works "perfectly".  I figured I would plug them in, boot,
and they'd be recognized during boot, and I'd be off to the races.
There must be more to it than that. :)

My system: Mac 7300 w/G3 upgrade, running Hoary.

I plugged the printer into a serial port after verifying the printer
worked under Mac OS.  When I tried to configure it using the
gnome->System->Administration->Printing facility, it did not find any
local printer.  /dev/ttyS[01] are present, but sending a small file to
them using cat does not produce any output.  dmesg says they were found
during boot:
ttyS0 at MMIO 0xf3013020 (irq = 15) is a Z85c30 ESCC - Serial port
ttyS1 at MMIO 0xf3013000 (irq = 16) is a Z85c30 ESCC - Serial port

Similary for the scanner -- a scsi device -- gnome's Xsane image scanning
device does not see it.  It's been a while since I've tried it -- mostly
trying to get the printer to work -- so I don't recall what all I've
tried with it.

I'm guessing that -- at the very least -- I need to load a module or two
-- but I have not come across the magic document to indicate what I need
to do.  Any help or pointers to same would be very much appreciated at
this point.

Thanks in advance,
tony