Very slow ripping

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Mon May 2 17:01:47 UTC 2005

Am Monday 02 May 2005 04:33 schrieb ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY:
> A quick (but ugly) fix is to switch to ide-scsi which means accessing
> your CD-ROM with SCSI emulation (just like the old days).

That was in fact the other reason to turn back to ide-scsi with
2.6.x.x ;-)

But I'm curious about this, because it should be fixed since ages:

http://www.de.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcp/2.6-WOLK/linux-2.6.4-wolk2.0-broken-out/9200_2.6.3-2-debian.patch

+CD Recording.
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+- Jens Axboe added the ability to use DMA for writing CDs on
+  ATAPI devices. Writing CDs should be much faster than it
+  was in 2.4, and also less prone to buffer underruns and the like.
+- With a recent cdrecord, you also no longer need ide-scsi in order to
use
+  an IDE CD writer.
+- Ripping audio tracks off of CDs now also uses DMA and should be
+  notably faster. You can also find an updated cdda2wav at:
+  *.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/axboe/tools/
+- Send good/bad reports of audio extraction with cdda2wav and burning
with
+  the cdrecord to Jens Axboe <axboe at suse.de>
+- Currently only 'open by device name' works in cdrecord.
+  cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdX -inq
+- More info at http://lwn.net/Articles/13538/ &
http://lwn.net/Articles/13160/

Kind regards