GRUB : couple quick newbie questions...

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon May 2 10:13:16 UTC 2005

Hello GRUB gurus, I need some basic help...

I have 2 IDE disks, Windows&Warty on hda (master) and Breezy on hdb
(slave).

I installed Breezy after Warty, which resulted in GRUB being installed
on hda, but the menu.lst file being on hdb. Now I want to remove hdb
altogether and just leave hda alone on the IDE controller.

The old menu.lst is still on /hda. I guess I can just delete the lines
that pertain to /hdb in there, but then, how do I re-configure GRUB to
read this file, instead of the one on hdb, so that I can remove the hdb
drive physically ?

Can I just turn the mahcine off, remove the hdb drive, boot from the
Ubuntun live CD and run something like "grub-install /dev/hda" ?
Or will that create a new  menu.lst ? ISTR there is something called
"grub-update" ? Would that be better suited, and re-use the existing
menu.lst ?

Thank you very much in advance for shedding some light... :-)

--
Vince, needs to learn the basics of GRUB...