Cloning a Hard drive ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun May 1 21:15:41 UTC 2005

I just got round to getting a new hard drive to replace my faulty one.
How do I proceed to make a perfect/binary copy of the old drive onto the
new one ? Both are same type (IDE) and size (40GB), but not the same
model, does it matter ? Does "cloning" require the destination drive to
be the exact same model and size ? Or will it do, as long as its large
enough ?
What tools to use ?  Is it just a matter of booting from Ubuntu's Live
CD, and asking 'dd' to do some magic for me ? Will dd make a perfect
copy of all the "special" stuff, GRUB, MBR etc, so that once finished,
it will all go smoothly, without further manual tweaking required ?

The disk looks like this :

GRUB
Windows XP (FAT32)
Warty (/ [Ext3] , /home [Ext3], swap)