Perforamnce Improvements (formally Performance shock )

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 20:03:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 13:59 -0400, aburda wrote:
> Tomas
>

> Thanks for the info, I updated my swappiness without a problem.  On the
> other points, I've got the 24 bit Intel X11 driver installed.  Just out
> of interest, how does one change their X driver, I understand the
> xorg.conf part but how do you actually install the driver files?

Aburda

Apparently, Ubuntu configures video resolution and only asks you what
depth you want during install. If you answered 24, then that's what you
have.

A howto explains changing color depth. You wouldn't normally expect to
find it under the title but it says (I'm starting in the middle of the
howto)

Select the option in GRUB for recovery mode, and wait for Ubuntu to boot
into the shell.

     4. Type: su root (you may have to type your password at this
        point.

     5. cd /etc/X11

     6. emacs XF86Config-4

Now, scroll down in emacs to Section "Screen" and find the entry named
"DefaultDepth?". Change the setting you find there from 24 to 16.

     1. Hit F10, f, s to save your changes

     2. Hit F10, f, e to exit emacs

https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HowToConfigureUbuntuForMicrosoftVirtualPC2004

I did a new install of Hoary and started checking improvements. So, I
want to take these one at a time and see if we get the same
improvements.

OOo write took 30 seconds to load installed natively. (I changed the
preferences on my clock to show seconds.) I made two changes:

1. Tools ->Options->Openoffice.org ->memory changed Graphics cache
Memory for openoffice.org to 128 MB and memory per object to 20 MB. (On
this machine I have 512 MB)

2. Ran sudo /usr/sbin/oooprelink

Opened and ready for use in 5 seconds.

See if that helps.

We'll take the next items in the next email.

Tomas