automatic mount and umount of USB drives

David Teague teague at jackson.main.nc.us
Sun May 1 13:33:42 UTC 2005

Scott Grannerman (from another list) wrote in part:

<quote Scott>

So look what I just found today in the Debian Weekly News from March
15th, 2005:

<quote>

Automatic Integration of USB Storage. Martin Dickopp has [11]developed
a script that automatically mounts USB mass storage devices when they
are plugged in, and unmounts them when they are removed. He
[12]mentioned that similar functionality is included in the [13]pmount
package when it is used as part of the desktop together with the
[14]hal device manager, though.

 11. http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/10/msg00308.html
 12. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/03/msg00271.html
 13. http://packages.debian.org/pmount
 14. http://packages.debian.org/hal

</quote>

</quote Scott>

I followed the thread started in [11] aboe, but it did not explain how
this can work.

BEFORE you remove a drive from the USB port, you must umount
(which calls sync) or at the very least call sync manually and wait for
write completion. Otherwise you will truncate the file at best or
corrupt the file system on the removable at worst.

Else I'm all wet. I solicit information and advice.

At least one other distribution (that is Debian based, but isn't free, as in
Beer) implements this feature (USB automount and umount) by default.

Does Ubuntu provide an Ubuntu-ized package that corresponds to [14]
above? Or does Ubuntu do this by default? Otherwise could we perhaps
use the above referenced Debian package with Ubuntu?

David Teague