Getting a gravis gamepad pro (gameport) to work

ebonflame ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun May 1 04:16:51 UTC 2005

ebonflame Wrote:
> Doing some browsing on the web as well as here, I see that I don't have
> the correct device latches in /dev (/dev/js* and /dev/input/js*).  How
> do I go about getting these devices created so I can use my joysticks?

Just some further experementing.

Of the pertinent modules for the gameport, I have the following:

gameport;

analog;

I decded to modprobe ns558.  Now after ls /dev/input I get a js0.
Checking with the KDE Joystick app, a dual axis 4 button joystick was
found, but no movement nor button activity registers.

Thinking that mayhaps if I put ns558 into /etc/modules so it would be
inserted during boot time would keep my /dev/input/js0, I do just that
and reboot.  However, frustration sets in as after I reboot, I check
/dev/input and there is no js0 device.  However ns558 is listed in
lsmod.  Any suggestions?  Once I get the js0 to be a permanent item,
then I'll continue forward and see if I can get the Gravis Gamepad to
work.

--
ebonflame