Very slow ripping

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Sun May 1 01:38:06 UTC 2005

> 1) I reran grip, and I'm still getting rip speeds between 2x
> and 3x; and

It's definitely a setting somewhere.  I would like to know where too.
I was ripping a CD last night and was getting a whopping 1.5x speed.
I've got 1/2 a gig of ram too, a fast CD-ROM drive, and plenty of
spare CPU cycles to rip a CD quicker than that.

On SUSE I could rip CD's like a daemon...I mean demon......so it's
just a silly setting somewhere...but hdparm ain't it.

hdparm is turned on by default when I boot (see below), and I can
watch DVD's on the same drive (it's a CD/CD-Burner/DVD Drive combo)
all day long without so much as a skip, and I can copy data CD's at
very high speed, but I can't rip.

I find it interesting that Grip is doing the same thing to you.  I was
planning on installing it right before I saw your post.  I thought it
might be a Soundjuicer config thing, but now I think not.

I'd be curious to know if non-laptop users are experiencing similar
speed issues or not.

> 2) how do I get the hdparm setting to stick around after I
> reboot?

This is definitely worth doing.  It will improve transfer rates on
data CD's, watching DVD's, etc.  Edit /etc/hpparm.conf

My CD-ROM/DVD drive is /dev/hdc so I have a setting that looks like this.

/dev/hdc {
         write_cache = on
        dma = on
                }