Problems with "Connect to server" in Gnome

Dragan Espenschied drx at a-blast.org
Thu Mar 31 19:09:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

maybe i misunderstand something, but i have the following problems with
connecting to servers in Gnome (by pressing Cntl+L):

1. To connect to a FTP server seemes to work fine, but any other
protocol i tried fails. For example, i have a server which doesn't
support FTP but only SCP. But a scp:// URL will produce an error message
that this is not a correct location.

2. It is easy to copy, move and change names of files on a FTP
connection, but when i want to edit something in Gedit remotely, all
files are suddenly write-protected. Why is that so?

3. Once a connection icon appears on the desktop (seems to be handled
liek a mounted drive), it is not possible to change any options? Also it
is not possible to move this icon somewhere, or make a link from it? It
would be very practical to be able to move it for me, because i need to
make connections to a lot of servers which would fill my desktop soon.
(Also the old trick from Windows, to make a "shortcut" to a directory
from a remote driver, is not working in Gnome, so what you suggest to
organize server connections in a meaningful way?)

Thanks a lot,
Dragan