temperature

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Thu Mar 31 06:54:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:30:57PM -0800, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> > do you want to say that mine should work too ?
> > or that i'm a rare exception ?
>
> My point was that in some case these cheap motherboards work seems to
> work fine with Ubuntu, and someone bad experience cannot be
> generalized to everyone with the same model type.  (actually mine is
> K7S41GX while the it seems the model quoted in the first email in this
> thread was a K7S41; maybe the "GX" makes a difference...)
>
>  > also, can you read the CPU temperature and if so how ?
>
> Actually I don't know if it can from Ubuntu;  it one of these thing I
> never figured out how to do. The BIOS can do it, that I know since I
> have seen temperature measurements from the BIOS setup menu; but I
> never tried from within Ubuntu, but would love if someone would tell
> me how to do it.

Supposedly one can do this with lm-sensors, but I haven't been able to
get that to work correctly with any recent kernels.  You can also get
voltage, temperature and fan speed data using mbmon, but the numbers
sometimes look strange (on one of my computers it shows 201 deg C and
if that was true I suspect it would have failed long ago).