Can GDM allow passwordless logins for specified users, in Ubuntu?

Henryk ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Mar 30 22:36:07 UTC 2005

Moin,

I recently had the same problem. After some googling I found out that
the LocalNoPasswordUsers option was removed in GDM 2.4.2.95 because it
did not play well with the improved PAM support. Thus I solved it
entirely through PAM:

Edit /etc/pam.d/gdm and insert a line like

Code:
--------------------
    auth    sufficient      pam_listfile.so sense=allow file=/etc/passwordless item=user
--------------------

above the line that reads

Code:
--------------------
    @include common-auth

Then create /etc/passwordless and put in the names of all the users you
want to be able to logon without a password, one on each line. Make sure
that file is only writeable by root. Et voila, you're done.

--
Henryk Plötz
Grüße von der Ostsee

--