Music Player problem after update

Kenton Brede kbrede at nixnotes.org
Wed Mar 30 15:04:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 03:51:40PM +0100, Eamonn Sullivan (eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:31:34 -0600, Kenton Brede <kbrede at nixnotes.org> wrote:
> > Music Player was working fine for me last night.  I upgraded Hoary this
> > morning and now I get the two following errors in succession when I try
> > to play a song, "Could not open resource for writing" and "Could not
> > pause playback"
> >
> > I suspect this might be a permission problem but haven't had any luck
> > searching either google or the Ubuntu website using either error
> > message.
>
> This is rhythmbox, right? Check in System/Preferences/Multimedia
> selector (or something like that) and make sure Esound/ESD is selected
> as the output sink. Does the test work?

Yes rhythmbox.

Thanks Eamonn, that put me on the right track.  It is
System/Preferences/Sound

I had unchecked "Enable sound server at startup" thinking that would
kill the desktop sounds that were annoying me.  "Sounds for events" should
suffice.  I've been using pwm as a window manager for quite a while.
Gnome is a new animal for me :)
Kent

--
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
  - Martin Luther King Jr.