Floppy problems

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 30 00:55:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 09:00 +0930, squareyes wrote:
> Robbo wrote:
>
> >> From command line I managed to copy above files from floppy to Desktop,
> >>so files do exist on the floppy.
> >>

> >I'm guessing this was done as root.
> >

> >>A png made with the Gimp, tried to save to floppy, gives "Could not open
> >>'media/floppy0/xyz.png
> >>for writing:permision denied" Dragging and dropping same result "no
> >>permission"
> >>

> >And this as a user?
> >

> >How did you mount the floppy (I'm guessing it was done automatic?)
> >
> >Next time you insert the floppy, type mount at the command line (user
> >access will be okay) and look for the floppy line..
> >
> >Mine (although for the cdrom) looks like this, it should say
> >user=squareyes as one of the options for yourself.
> >
> >/dev/hdc on /media/cdrom type iso9660
> >(ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=richard)
> >
> >If it doesn't, look for your floppy line in /etc/fstab.  It should be
> >something like this.  The option "user" is the option that may be
> >lacking for yourself.
> >
> >/dev/floppy       /media/floppy  vfat    user,noauto     0       0
> >

> Hi Robbo,
> mount is as follows
> squareyes at squareyes:~ $ mount
> /dev/hda5 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> /dev/hda7 on /home type ext2 (rw)
> /dev/hda1 on /windows type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=000)
> usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> /dev/fd0 on /media/floppy0 type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> squareyes at squareyes:~ $
>
> No user showing, but is in Fstab below
>
> Fstab :
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/hda5       /               ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
> /dev/hda7       /home           ext2    defaults        0       2
> /dev/hda6       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/hdd        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,auto  0       0
> /dev/hda1       /windows        vfat    rw,umask=000,users,auto   0       0
>
> have tried changing "auto" to vfat, same result.,
> I realize floppy is a primitive device, but so am I , still not ready to
> be put
> out to pasture :-) I do find them to be unreliable, but with 2 machines
> side by side,
> 1 running Knoppix, and this one Ubuntu, it is a convienient way to
> transfer small png files.
> Files were originally saved to floppy from Knoppix on my old machine
> (166meg 64 edo ram Win 98)
> will check the Knoppix Fstab that works.
> Thanks again,
> Take Care
> [...]

For what it's worth, my floppy fstab line reads

/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  vfat    rw,user,noauto  0       0

and appears to mount/unmount fine when I click it in Nautilus
computer:///

An icon appears on the desktop and umounts from the roght-click context
menu.

Try "vfat" and "noauto" as above in the relevant fields, and see if that
solves your problem...

Peter