Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Frank McCormick fmccormick at videotron.ca
Tue Mar 29 17:24:46 UTC 2005

> > > Of this, the important line is:
> > >
> > > The boot process is looking for an ext3 filesystem in hda5, and it
> > > can't find it. But there is more:
> >
> > Hi, I don't want to disagree or something, but that message is
> > always printed whenever the root file-system is not an EXT3. For
> > example, my root is /dev/hda1 and it's ReiserFS and I always get the
> > same message but the boot process continues without a hitch.
>

> > In other words, the boot process (initrd?) expect an EXT3 on the
> > real root file-system and prints that message if it finds another FS
> > (RieserFS in my case) or if it didn't finds an FS all together.
>
> > (The reason that I replayed is that everybody is focusing in that
> > line as if it's the cause if the problem, which might be true or
> > not.)
>

> > (If anybody else on the list have a RieserFS on their root FS and
> > don't have that same message, please correct me.)

   I don't have Reiser on my Ubuntu but I do have it as the root system
on my Slackware partition---and I never get that message. I did have to
create an initrd image containing the kernel driver for Reiser as the
Kernel was compiled without Reiser support. Matter of fact this
Kernel supports only ext2 and ext3 , JFS as well as some DOS and FAT
systems.

Cheers

Frank