[Hoary] Mounting Powershot A75

Stephen Ryan taketwoaspirin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:50:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:24:11 +0200, Bernhard <berndl81 at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi everyone. I'm using hoary and I'm experiencing the following problem
> with my canon powershot A75 digital camera.
>
> The camera gets detected fine in various applications (gthumb,
> ghoto2,..) and I can access all the photos on the disk.
>
> I'm failing miserably however, when I try to mount the camera to use it
> as a normal file system. No /dev/sda* entries are created by hotplug.

I have an A75, too.  Don't waste too much time trying, because the A75
(like many other digital cameras[0]) doesn't implement the mass
storage interface, and so it won't ever show up as a mountable device.
 You'll have to access it with applications that use the gphoto
library, or buy a [supported] card reader and use that.

There is a possible (future) way around this; there are some
experimental patches to the kernel to allow filesystems to be written
that use libraries outside the kernel; this would allow a filesystem
to be written that would use the gphoto library to access the camera
and present a view to the rest of the OS as a generic filesystem.  No
such thing has been written yet that I'm aware of, and I'd assume that
if you didn't already know about this, that it's probably more
adventurous than what you were looking for.

[0] There's a list of about 500 supported cameras at gphoto.org, and I
think they only bother to support cameras that aren't already
supported as generic mass storage devices.