Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at spymac.com
Tue Mar 29 05:10:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 10:46 +1000, Cef wrote:
> Of this, the important line is:
>
> > VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev hda5.
>
> The boot process is looking for an ext3 filesystem in hda5, and it can't find
> it. But there is more:
Hi, I don't want to disagree or something, but that message is always
printed whenever the root file-system is not an EXT3. For example, my
root is /dev/hda1 and it's ReiserFS and I always get the same message
but the boot process continues without a hitch.

In other words, the boot process (initrd?) expect an EXT3 on the real
root file-system and prints that message if it finds another FS
(RieserFS in my case) or if it didn't finds an FS all together.

(The reason that I replayed is that everybody is focusing in that line
as if it's the cause if the problem, which might be true or not.)

(If anybody else on the list have a RieserFS on their root FS and don't
have that same message, please correct me.)

Ziyad.