firefox svg

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Mar 28 09:22:08 UTC 2005

Ashley,

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 15:08 +1000, ashley maher wrote:

> So given I need svg in firefox on ubuntu what is the easiest way of
> obtaining an ubuntu package with an ability to turn on svg natively in
> firefox?

I guess the glib answer is to compile it yourself, but you may not be
comfortable with doing that.

> Problem is the directory with myusername in the drive was created from
> another computer. I can access other directoried in the hardrive, but
> the one with my username is denied to me  :-(
>
> What do I need to do in fstab so when the drive is mounted (it is
> mounted on a mount point /home/myusername/ext_drive/) so I can access
> that directory?

What file system is on the drive? If it's a Linux file system such as
ext3 or residerfs, then the problem is probably that the files on the
disk are owned by a different UID to your username. You can use chown to
change the ownership of the files (via sudo) but that will probably make
it unreadable on the machine that created it. You really need to make
sure your UIDs are the same on both machines and set the oenwership of
the files to the same UID.

If its a Winows file system such as NTFS, then you can specify a UID nad
UID in mount command or the fstab line. Here is the line from my fstab
which mounts my NTFS partition (should be all on one line, of course):

/dev/sda1	/windows/C	ntfs ro,users,gid=adm,umask=0002,nls=iso8859-1	0	0

The gid part means anyone in the adm group can access the files on the
partition.

Regards,
Tony.
Manchester Computing, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold