iPod photo with Ubuntu

Paul Schulz pschulz01 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 09:15:02 UTC 2005

Greetings,

The problem described in the previous email was
also an issue when using the iPod Photo under
Debian (testing).

I have found a work-around which seems to do the trick,
not ideal, but it works for getting large files on and
off the iPod.

- Connect the ipod photo
  (under Ubunto, unmount the automounted filesystem)

- Put the iPod into disk mode
  See:

or

  Hold down 'Menu' and 'Action' (middle button) to
  reboot iPod, hold down 'Back' (<<) and 'Action'
  during the reboot process to get to diagnostic mode.
  Scroll down and select 'Diskmode'
  For more details see:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_more.php?id=5458_0_8_0_M

- Under Debian the disk can now be mounted
  (after # insmod usb-storage)
  # mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2

-- Use as disk --

- Unmount with