Memory card reader (USB port) : ins and outs ?

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Sun Mar 27 22:51:50 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Thanks for the answers gang, here is some more :
>
> I rebooted into Win XP just to quickly check if it was working or not.
> It was, so I rebooted into Warty, crossing fingers.
> Had a look in the device manager, it created 4 SCSI devices, one for
> each slot in the reader I guess : sda, sdb, sdc and sdd. And it saw the
> memory card I put in it, as it created a "sdc1" device, reported as
> using a vfat filesystem (as you would guess).
>
> So I tried mounting it like this :
>
> /dev/sdc1   /media/Camera  vfat defaults 0 0

You might try changing "defaults" to "user,umask=000":  "user" will
let an ordinary user mount and unmount; "umask" will give all users
unrestricted access to files and directories on the device.

If you add a line to /etc/fstab, to save typing every time you use the
device, you should probably add the "noauto" option, too (see "man
mount" for details on these options).

> It does mount it, Nautilus opens a window to show the content, but the
> problem is that the pictures are in a folder, and the folder is not
> recognised as such, instead it uses the "generic" Gnome icon (green foot
> over a white background), and if I double click on it, nothing happens.
> If I right-click on it, the icon disappears ! :-/

Sounds like a permission problem. The "umask" option should fix this.

> So I am almost there ! Maybe I need to specifiy some specific mount
> options to get it working properly ?
>

> --
> Vince

Regards,