Need to reinstall grub

Robbo ml at the-view.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Mar 27 20:30:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 09:49 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
>
> > Grub was installed on my MBR on hda.  It seems that hda has given up
> > the ghost.  Not much lost (win98 that came with computer), but now I
> > can't boot (currently running knoppix).  Boot is a continuous loop
> > from the mem test to going through the BIOS-defined boot drives, then
> > back to the mem test.
> >
> > How can I get the computer to boot from hdb (where linux, the kernel,
> > and the grub program are located).  To be more precise, I don't really
> > understand where the grub program is located, but I think most of it
> > is in /boot/grub on /dev/hdb2.
> >
> > If anyone can walk me through this using knoppix, that would be
> > wonderful.  I have the Knoppix 2.6.9 kernel loaded.  The Ubuntu kernel
> > on /dev/hdb2 is a 2.6.8-1 kernel.
> >

> Getting there, but still stuck.
>
> I ran /sbin/grub
>
> At the grub> prompt, I ran
>
>     root (hd1,1)
>
> because the kernel is on /dev/hdb2, and I am led to believe that grub
> always starts at 0.  Then I ran
>
>     setup (hd1)
>
> The command seemed to work, but I still can't boot, because hdb (or hd1)
> is not the boot drive.  Do I change this in the bios or with cfdisk?

Did you remove (physically) the old hard drive?  If you did then grub
will find hdb as the first drive so will be hd0.  If the old drive is
still in, then your PC's BIOS will be trying to boot from it.

Remember if you change your hard disk to be master or is on cable select
then it will be hda, your /etc/fstab will need changing.