Acrobat reader 7.0 is out

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Sat Mar 26 21:06:31 UTC 2005

Matt Price wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 04:31:49PM -0500, j Mak wrote:
>

>>Acrobat 7.0 for linux is out. I've just installed it
>>on warty and it works like a dream. Fast like a
>>heartbeat.
>>

>I agree with the OP that the new acrobat is by far the prettiest and
>most functional of the pdf readers; and with the critics, that its
>non-free status is a major impediment to using it (not just for
>practical reasons:  for instance, there's no reason to expect a port
>to other architectures -- even poular ones like ppc -- any time
>soon).  But I think that the whole acrobat vs. evince debate misses
>the point that the REAL missing functionality has been, for a long
>time now, a suitable pdf editor.  One is finally under development --
>flpsed (http://www.ecademix.com/JohannesHofmann/#flpsed).  It's by no
>means perfect, but it's improving by leaps and bounds, and the
>capacity to save my filled-in forms has been a livesaver.
>
>So I'd sooner recommend folks to help test/develop flpsed than evince
>-- evince is nice, but we already have tools that do everything it
>does, while flpsed adds a much-sought-after new capacity to the Linux
>toolkit.

Sounds great, but won't compile in Warty.  Looks like it needs the fltk
development packages (I have the libraries), but can't apt-get them
because of multi-layer dependency problems.  How did you compile it?

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c