automatic and semi-automatic updates

Sat Mar 26 20:19:02 UTC 2005

I'm running Hoary with Xfce, and overall I've got it working great. I'm
wondering, though, about what my options are for configuring automatic
or semi-automatic system updates:

- I notice that in GNOME update-notifier runs with some options, so I
added that to my Xfce session (though I don't know what the options
are). But it takes up a lot of space in the system tray, even though no
updates are available. Any way to avoid that?

- Are there other options for notification of available updates? Some
way to flash an icon somewhere or present a dialog?

- I saw some docs regarding fully-automated updates with cron-apt and
apt-get. If I'm going to be installed updates anyway, is that a safe
thing to do?

- As far as fully-automated updates go, the person who uses this
machine will have it turned off much of the time. Will a root cron job
run at startup if its time has been missed, or would it make more sense
to just run update-manager when the user logs in? Is there a way to run
update-manager so that it only actually launches if updates are
available?

Thanks.
--Dave