dpkg

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat Mar 26 16:24:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 11:05 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
> Hi
>
>   A couple of messages on this list lately prompt this question:
>
> Often I want software (such as Sylpheed, or mhwaveedit) in a version
> that's not yet available from the regular repositories. I have been
> dl'ing the source, and doing a make, make install but this seems to be
> to be defeating the fine record keeping of the Debian system.
> Whats the **recommended** way of doing this; using dpkg ???
> I am still running Warty...as I don;t want to upgrade until the release.
>
> Thanks
>
> Frank

You might try installing "checkinstall" - usage is quite simple: you do the usual

 `./configure && make ` then follow with

` sudo checkinstall`

this makes a deb and installs it for you. The deb can be uninstalled
with sudo dpkg -r <deb>.

There are more elegant approved ways, but this works quite well for me,
at least

Peter