Kubuntu - root access question...

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat Mar 26 15:57:35 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 09:22 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> > rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> Out of curiosity, why use gksudo or kdesu? I just do "sudo gedit" and
> >> it works fine.
> >
> Not if you want to run
>
>     sudo gedit &
>
> Try it.  You never see the password prompt and nothing happens.  If you
> don't mind freezing a terminal while you use gedit, a plain
>
>     sudo gedit
>
> works fine, I guess.

	$ sudo gedit

	Ctrl-z  (to stop the process momentarily) then

	bg (to background it - the equivalent of typing & after command)

I use this quite often to background something that's taking while to
run when I haven't explicitly backgrounded it with "&"

	fg (will bring a process back to foreground)

Simple example: I sometimes play a directory of mp3s with the primitive
but quick and easy

peter at panarchy:~/music/Mozart $ mpg321 *    (yes, it works for a dir
full of mp3 files ;-) : so would mpg123 * or ogg123 * try it out.... )

If I want to stop playback I can type ctrl-z ; fg , then if I want the
next track,  ctrl-c . Ctrl-z stops playback, bg starts it again in the
background, and so on....

Peter