upgrading to hoary

Philippe Landau lists at mailry.net
Fri Mar 25 02:10:07 UTC 2005

hello toyfactory,

i'm writing back in your exotic japanese encoding font apparently :-)
thunderbird 1.0.2 is still quite buggy.
> I'm hoping much of Warty's wartiness will be fixed in Hoary so I'm
> thinking about backing up my data to a shared partition, completely
> wiping the Ubuntu partition and installing Hoary from scratch.  I've got
> a couple of days of free time spare to fiddle with it at the moment, but
> next month I'll be quite busy.  I wonder how much is Hoary likely to
> change between now and the final release date?  Should I hang on until
> then or should I get the latest version and get it done now?
you take risks, of course, and there will be big updates,
but hoary has somewhat stabilised.

> I really don't want to screw up my multi-boot with Grub as this is my
> main work machine as well as my geek around machine.  Will it be
> relatively easy to preserve my Grub settings?
yes.

> Finally, I'm not terribly happy with Gnome, it seems a bit sluggish and
> flaky (compared with Windows on the same machine).
right.

> The integrated file manager, Nautilus, tries hard
> but doesn't seem to be up to the job.
true :-)

> Are the versions included with Hoary generally considered to be
> improvements on the ones included with Warty?
yes, but most of the user interface problems have not been solved.
beagle is not even to be found in synaptic megamultikultiuberuniverse.

> Or should I give the KDE version of Ubuntu a try instead?
sure, try it.
KDE is great but bloated too.
there are fast and nice windows managers, i just haven't tried them yet.

kind regards     philippe