Installing off downloaded CD

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 23 22:19:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 12:54 -0800, Lisa Z. wrote:
> I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu and then
> burnt a CD(as data) and put it into another computer -
> a thinkpad 600x - but it didn't recognize it. I tried
> hitting F12 and I changed it to boot from CD. Am I
> suppose to change it to something else to be
> recognized but maybe not booted -perhaps the bios-or
> am I supposed to have an additional floppy disk(bootable)?
>
> "We do not even feign knowledge of anything related to any Windows Server."
>
> -Dada Mail

Sounds like you burnt it as an ordinary data CD - you need to burn it as
an "image" - in other words, a clone of the original ISO. If you look at
the CD in your file manager, do you see one file, or a whole bunch of
files and directories ? You should see the latter. If you just see one
file, this is the problem.