problem with acroread and repositories

LoA cd loa_cd1680 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 01:24:42 UTC 2005

hi i am new to ubuntu and i am trying to install
acroread  but i cant. i get an error meesage every
time. it is like this:
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package acroread is not available, but is referred to
by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been
obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  acroread-debian-files
W: Couldn't stat source package list
http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net warty-backports/main
Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net_ubuntu_dists_warty-backports_main_binary-amd64_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list
http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net
warty-backports/universe Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net_ubuntu_dists_warty-backports_universe_binary-amd64_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these
problems
E: Package acroread has no installation candidate

i have updated apt-get and hav universe enabled. i
still get this error. not only does this affect
acroread it also affects alot of other software i try
to install. can someone help me fix this problem?
thanks in advance.