honest ubuntu roadmap (Re: [hoary] Array CD 7/6 bugs

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Mar 22 17:25:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 01:46:47AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 07:26:22PM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > > Not really -- this is just one of the quirks in how X functions.
> >
> > It behaves that way with respect to the current selection, but the
> > clipboard?
>
> AIUI, the clipboard is just another selection -- you have the
> PRIMARY, SECONDARY, and CLIPBOARD buffers?  But I may be wrong, and
> it may be that CLIPBOARD should be filled when it is first grabbed,
> so it will stay populated past when the grabbing application exits.
>
> Nope.  jwz's page seems to back this up:
> http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html
>
> The clipboard's just another, unfortunately-named, selection.

FYI, freedesktop.org has a draft clipboard manager spec:

   The Clipboard manager specification describes a way for a clipboard
   manager to store clipboard data when applications quit.

   http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fclipboard_2dmanager_2dspec

Unfortunately, the link to the spec itself gives me a page not found
error.

Marius Gedminas
--
If C gives you enough rope to hang yourself, C++ gives you enough rope to bind
and gag your neighborhood, rig the sails on a small ship, and still have enough