How do I know which package is which?

Soo-Hyun Choi shchoi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 12:12:02 UTC 2005

I have been getting following error when I enable 'universe' from
/etc/apt/sources.list file. What kind of this error is?

soohyunc at quokka:~ $ sudo apt-cache search gnuplot
Password:
devscripts - Scripts to make the life of a Debian Package maintainer easier
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com
warty/universe Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_warty_universe_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
soohyunc at quokka:~ $

My sources.list looks like this:

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 4.10 _Warty Warthog_ - Preview i386 Binary-1
(20041020)]/ unstable main restricted

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu warty main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu warty main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu warty universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu warty universe

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu warty-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu warty-security main restricted

And my kernel is:
soohyunc at quokka:~ $ uname -a
Linux quokka 2.6.8.1-5-k7 #1 Mon Mar 14 22:06:28 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
soohyunc at quokka:~ $

Thank you.
Soo-Hyun