investigating the legality of scripts installing complete multimedia (Re: honest ubuntu roadmap (was: [hoary] Array CD 7/6 bugs

russell cook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 22 07:35:20 UTC 2005

Well Phillipe, if this is such an important issue for you, why don't you
contribute your time & $ (or Francs) to the open source concept of
Ubuntu and do that investigation for all jurisdictions where Ubuntu is
hosted, or maybe targeted (you'd need to ask your lawyers what the scope
should be :-))

> no business can operate without consulting lawyers,
> so why not clarify this aspect for Linux ?
> all distributions are currently struggling with this question,
> and many do much more to satisfy the needs of simple users.
>
> the minimum that could be done is to launch an equivalent
> of what "PLF" (Penguin Liberation Front) does for Mandrake.
> there currently are instructions on how to make things work
> on ubuntu, but they are not simplified to the point
> of general and *unified* adoption,
> with the effect that multimedia on ubuntu is
> inadequately tested and thus buggier then necessary.
>
> kind regards     philippe
>
> --

> >>non-free movie playback is essential for simple users.
> >>examples are provided on this mailinglist on a regular basis.
> >>canonical just chooses to consistently answer with
> >>"not allowed to do it,
> >>not allowed to look into it."

Kind Regards Russell
www.windsorcycles.com.au