laptop hoary install

Nathan Sprangers farruinn at cwazy.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 04:24:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:53:38 +1100, ashley maher
<ubuntu at didymodesigns.com.au> wrote:
> G'day,
>
> Just tried to do a laptop install of hoary.
>
> I now have a nice shiny install with a gnome screen the size of a
> postage stamp in the middle of my screen.
>
> Looking at X11 config it shows 1024 X 768, however the gnome screen
> resolution manageer shows 640 X 480 only!
>
> How do I fix this please.
>
>  From /var/log/messages:
>
> Mar 22 09:55:41 solo syslogd 1.4.1#16ubuntu4: restart.
> Mar 22 10:01:23 solo gconfd (root-25725): starting (version 2.10.0),
> pid 25725 user 'root'
> (etc)

As someone else mentioned, the xorg log would be more helpful, however I
find that usually when X can't achieve the resolution set in
/etc/X11/[XF86Config-4 | xorg.conf] it is because the horiz/vert sync
are out of range.  If you feel the need to go through the configuration
dialog that you got when you installed you can run 'sudo
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' (although if you know the specific
problem with your xorg.conf there is no need for this, but it usually
provides good defaults if you find yourself at wits end).

--
Nathan Sprangers  <farruinn at cwazy.co.uk>