Grub versus Boot Manager

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 16:50:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:18:17 -0800, Joe Malin <jmalin7 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am talking about FrameMaker, not PageMaker.
> The two are often confused, but they are *not* the same. In fact,
> they're not even related to each other. FrameMaker seems to be quite
> close to Lyx. I have not used equations in either FM or Lyx, so I can't
> tell you which is better.

Just to drag this thread in another slightly different direction, I'll
point you to an article claiming OpenOffice Writer can do most of what
FrameMaker can:

Replacing FrameMaker with OOo Writer

http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/10/04/150207.shtml

> Contrary to common assumptions, FrameMaker is not a desktop
> publishing program. Instead, it is a niche product for long documents,
> such as books, technical manuals, and dissertations. While brochures
> and posters can be done in FrameMaker (I've done both), it is not a
> designer's first choice of tools for these jobs. Similarly, while
> OpenOffice.org's Writer is often described as a Microsoft Word clone
> because of obvious borrowings in its interface, it would be more accurate
> to describe it as a cross between Microsoft Word and Microsoft Publisher.

P.S.: As a former FrameMaker user (from LONG before Adobe bought and
effectively abandoned it), I can say that while FrameMaker is not
perfect, it's biggest problem has always been how it was marketed. I
used to tell my boss that if we had someone to manage their templates,
even the secretaries could be more productive using Frame. But of
course the status quo "Office" software gets bundled with all sorts of
other licenses so the people writing the checks don't see how much
it's actually costing the company in lost productivity. And ultimately
even the tech writers have to use Word because if it's good enough for
the programmers and their managers, why should the company continue to
pay for Frame licenses?

Sorry for the rant....